Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Stable Overclock

This is my current setting for the Xeon X3440, showing a stable overclock of 2.7 GHz.  I tried to push BCLK past 142, but at 145 the system instead slowed down (using Cinebench, Geekbench and XBench), and at 150 I had a kernel panic and did not go past the gray Apple splash screen.  I know that if I increase the VCore and Dynamic VCore, I could probably go past 150 and things would remain stable, but at this point I do not think I need it.  I am happy to push my system from 2.53 GHz to 2.7 GHz without too many tweaks.

By the way, I did purchase an aftermarket processor fan - a Coolermaster 101i.  It is one of the less expensive ones but as I have read good reviews about it comparing it to more costly models, I decided that $14+ tax is worth the investment.  Even with the overclocked CPU settings and while running Prime95 for about 3 hours, this little cooler was able to keep the temperatures of all cores at around 51 degrees Celsius. Not bad at all.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Final Touches to the Project

Finally, I have completed my project.  I finally received my two aluminum displays, a 20" and a 23" (this one is sporting the 23").  Looking at it, it looks just like any Mac Pro/Powermac system, which was my primary objective when I first started with this Hackintosh.  I switched out my Apple bluetooth keyboard with this wired one as I need the numpad.  I'm still going to use the bluetooth one for my next project, which is to convert my wife's desktop, an HP a6814y which I'm putting inside another G5 case.  The HP system already uses the 20" aluminum display.  The only thing is, I'm probably gonna stick with Windows 7 on the HP desktop.

Here is a shot of the home-made Airport card before I installed it:

This is the back view, where you can see the home-made Airport card antenna sticking out.

Here is a shot of the home-made bluetooth dongle I assembled before I put it in.  I used a 3.3-to-5 volt converter and attached it to a USB connected which goes into the internal USB header.

And here is another screenshot with Wi-fi, Bluetooth and everything else working as it should.

Now that I'm done..